Ghent Volunteer Fire Company No. 1

2230 Rte. 66    Ghent, NY 12075

Non-emergency phone:  518.392.3838

www.ghentfire.com

email:  ghentfireco@gmail.com

Smoke / Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detectors

The compiled information below is according and to:

 

Please visit these sights for more detailed information

on how to protect your family and home:

The images above are neither a recommendation or endorsement of the manufacturer or product.

Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors may be available to those in need.

For assistance, click on the "Contact" button at the top-right corner of this page.

About Carbon Monoxide:

  • Carbon Monoxide is the result of the incomplete burning of wood, coal, gasoline, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane.

  • This poisonous gas can come from many sources, including cars, malfunctioning fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, ranges, water heaters and room heaters; and engine-powered equipment such as portable generators.

FACT:

  • CO (Carbon Monoxide) is called the invisible killer because you cannot see, taste or smell it.

    • At low levels, CO poisoning symptoms can include dizziness, headache or flu-like symptoms.

    • At high levels, victims can have mental confusion, vomiting, and they can die.

    • At extremely high levels, it is possible to lose consciousness suddenly without experiencing less severe symptoms.

    • Sustained exposure to high levels of CO can quickly incapacitate and kill you.

  • Three out of five home fire deaths result from fires in properties without working smoke alarms.

  • More than one-third (38 percent) of home fire deaths result from fires in which no smoke alarms are present.

  • More than 400 people die each year in the United States from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, (according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) whose data includes consumer products and vehicles).

  • The risk of dying in a home fire is cut in half in homes with working smoke alarms.

SMOKE ALARM TIPS:

  • Smoke (CO) alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home (including basements) and in any other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards.

  • Replace batteries every time you reset your clocks to/from Daylight Saving Time, or more often if recommended by the manufacturer.

  • Many newer CO alarms now have end-of-life indicators. Replace all CO alarms every 10 years, or when recommended by the manufacturer (whichever comes first), or when the end-of-life signal sounds

  • Test alarms once a month to make sure they are working.

  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds:

1. Get Out and Stay Out.

2. Call 911 from a “fresh air” location.

3. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for.

4. Do not re-enter the structure until the fire department has declared it safe.

5. Do not start or run any vehicle or equipment that is in an enclosed space. Explosive gases may exist that could ignite           with the turning of the ignition key.

ADDITIONAL TIPS:

  • During and after a snowstorm, make sure all vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.

  • A generator should only be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings. Keep generators, fuel cans/containers, as well as any other equipment with an engine in it, at least 20 feet away from the house.

  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO — only use them outdoors and away from windows, doors and vents.

  • Have your heating system inspected by a qualified professional and serviced every year to make sure the system is working properly. Inspections should also include checking for proper exhaust ventilation through vents chimneys and flues.

GVFC Banner.png